OUT-OF-SCHOOL CHILDREN IN KOGI STATE IS ALARMING - ISLAMIYA

The issue of school dropout is spreading rapidly across the nation, as the amount of out-of-school children keeps on increasing. The latest of such worry came from kogi state.

Such has become common that children of school age have been spotted hawking goods and ignorantly playing away their future during school hours in Kogi State Local Government Areas like Okene, Ajaokuta and Adavi.

On a typical Monday morning, I took a walk through Idozumi Market in Okene LGA, Kogi state, and I must admit I was shocked. I saw many of them hawking various commodities like beverages, bread and so many other items, and some were begging along the road side, tussling with the human vehicular traffic during school hour, risking their life as if they have a task already to make a living for themselves. This is because most of the public schools in the state have been shut down to incessant strike by the teachers as most of them are owed salaries ranging from 15 to 21 months.

I was indeed speechless when I saw a 6 years old girl hawking cola nuts along the streets, I was beyond surprised, I began to wonder what kind of parent would let their 6 years old daughter go into the streets all alone, especially with the present situation of the country. So I called her over and started questioning her. I asked her about her family and she told me that “My mom died a few years ago, and daddy said he can’t afford to send me to school for now because he hasn’t receive his salary.”

“What work does he do?” I asked.

“He is a teacher.” She replied.

“Don’t you have siblings, why are you hawking?” I asked. But I got a shocking answer. She told me that His brother had gone to school a few years ago but he never returned and no one ever heard from him till date. At that point I was petrified…….

Kogi state is getting more corrupt as time passes. And although the government declared that primary school education is officially free, changes were not made, because the number of school dropouts remain at an all time high. And I believe it’s high time the government retaliates, because the wrong doers of this fine state will see this as an opportunity to commit dreadful crimes like kidnapping, murder/ serial killing, rape etc. so I’m pleading with the Kogi state government to do something about this before the situation gets out of control.

The government should hire a bunch of people to rid the streets of school aged dropouts, and financial support should be provided as well. Corruptness should be fought. Please something has to be done, because this issue can certainly not be overlooked.

By

Islamiya Ozuveva, Okene Kogi State.

09063843959

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post